RIP Alvin Lee

Posted on March 6, 2013

Shocked and saddened to hear of Alvin Lee passing, one of the true greats and a major influence on Sabbath. The fastest guitar in the west. He was one of the few people that believed in Sabbath when we started out, and he got us our first major London gig, at the Marquee. A true gentleman and lovely bloke. RIP Alvin.

Comments

1. Ovi says:

Ten Years After was one of the first bands I followed as a fan,and of course Alvin Lee was such a monumental figure in the history of rock ‘n roll .I am talking here of those great and golden years,the late 60s and then the 70s that totally changed music worldwide.
    Alvin was very instrumental in creating a style,pure rock and blues and his amazing guitar playing obviously left marks in awe to many kids that later on went on to becoming themselves the great musicians of today.
    I remember those great albums…Watt,Cricklewood Green,A Space in Time,SSSHHH listening to them hundreds of times and so many more.Strangely enough it’s been a few weeks now that for some reason I got engulfed into listening again to these unique albums…but today was a sad day…and I feel like something’s missing,I believe that Alvin Lee left with a big chunk of my youth,I’ll be listening now to his songs with the feeling that when one person is missing the whole world seems empty…RIP Alvin,a true guitar hero.

2. Argentinean says:

Today we lost Woodstock’s best performer.

3. kieran howells says:

Devestated to hear that Alvin Lee died yesterday. A true 1960′s hero. Easily one of the greatest guitarists of all time. RIP Alvin Lee.

4. kieran howells says:

Also, absolutely excellent to see Geezer mourning his death. Brilliant when a legend takes the time to pay tribute to another legend.

5. peter lobban says:

i too was shocked and extremely saddened to hear of Alvins sudden death still can’t believe it now, another gone way too soon, grew up listening to him and all you guys, one of rocks true greats, we must enjoy it all while we can, rock on Alvin, gone but never forgotten …

6. [...] to hear of Alvin Lee passing, one of the true greats and a major influence on Sabbath,” writes Butler. “The fastest guitar in the west. He was one of the few people that believed in [...]

7. Martin Broom says:

Sad, Sad day a truly great guitarist rest in peace brother you were an influence on many a young mans dreams to play. Forever in our hearts and heartfelt thoughts to the family

8. Martin Broom says:

He influenced the way people saw rock and that was in their hearts

9. [...] to hear of Alvin Lee passing, one of the true greats and a major influence on Sabbath,” writes Butler. “The fastest guitar in the west. He was one of the few people that believed in [...]

10. Reslosound says:

Nice words, time to crank up Ssssh!

11. Tato Bergman says:

Alvin Lee was one of the great musicians ever that influenced generations. We will miss him…

12. Petr says:

The true guitar hero and icon at my sixteen….never forget…..thank you, Alvin!

13. dAVE BARRETT says:

good old geezer just loves everyone,and so do I,thanks geez.

14. Bluesfan says:

Very saddening indeed.Alvin was a spectacular guitarist and one of the all time greats.I didn’t know he helped Sabbath start out.He will be missed.

15. Mark Wheeler says:

Saw Alvin open for Sabbath in NY around 1980 or so, awesome show by both bands!

16. behar says:

I used to be suggested this blog by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this submit is written through him as no one else recognize such particular approximately my trouble. You are wonderful! Thank you!

17. […] to hear of Alvin Lee passing, one of the true greats and a major influence on Sabbath,” writes Butler. “The fastest guitar in the west. He was one of the few people that believed in […]