RIP Bert Weedon

Posted on April 21, 2012

Hello Readers,

I had stopped commenting on deaths and disasters, because my “journal” was starting to resemble an obituary column. However, I cannot ignore the passing of Bert Weedon. Some of you won’t have heard of him, but I can safely say that many UK and Ireland guitarists from John Lennon onwards throughout the 1960’s and 70’s, would probably have never learned to play without Bert Weedon’s Play In A Day book. He produced a book with pictures of chords, rather than musical notation, making it possible for those of us who couldn’t afford music lessons, or didn’t read music, to gradually learn basic chords on the guitar. I know Black Sabbath wouldn’t exist without his book, since both Tony Iommi and myself learned to play guitar chords from it. RIP Bert!

Geezer

Comments

1. Luis Alfonso Monasterios Torres says:

R.I.P.
    My pray for him!!!
    Om Manni Padme Hum

2. Roger says:

anyone who influenced the Beatles AND Black Sabbath must have been something. RIP.

3. Dan Baran says:

Yah, people who made books like that are how many of us out here learned.
    I learned how to play guitar by watching a ‘Star Licks’ Tony Iommi VHS tape.
    Later I switched to bass because of you, Daisley and Harris.

4. [...] paying tribute to the man many people called “Mr. Guitar,” Butler wrote on his website: I had stopped commenting on deaths and disasters, because my [online] ‘journal’ was [...]

5. [...] paying tribute to the man many people called “Mr. Guitar,” Butler wrote on his website: I had stopped commenting on deaths and disasters, because my [online] ‘journal’ was [...]

6. Jeff Downing says:

RIP Bert. Things have changed so much even since I was a kid. When I was first tryiing to learn, it seemed it was all just Mel Bay -type books, with traditional songs and such. There was no explanation of playing chords in different positions,, or notation like tablature. Then Guitar Player came out on the newstand with tab in ’82 or so. Now a person can just go download a tab transcription instantly. And play to an MP3 you can pause or slow down or loop. And often even watch someone play it on Youtube. I used to learn songs from LP, placing the needle back over and over…….it was not so easy. And you had to be patient. It seems ironic with all these materials that in a broad sense, the innovation of the players has slowed, even regressed, instead of progressing further. Perhaps some of the ease of access has come at the expense of imagination.

7. Paul Acree says:

Credit where it’s due! Thank you, Geezer, for paying tribute to a teacher. Good teachers are so seldom appreciated.

8. kevin says: